Wednesday, September 16, 2009

school

There are so many things I have wanted to include on my blog about school starting, funny things Abby has said about school etc. and I just haven't gotten around to doing it. Last night when we were getting ready for bed Abby declared she wanted go practice writing the number 5. She has been really into reading digital clocks lately and wanted to write a 5 like it is on the clock. So she got out paper and pen and practiced 5's and 3's. She would not quit, I kept saying I wanted to go to bed but she was all kiddy and saying she was doing school and how she wanted to start school now etc. etc. Mind you, she has said this many times in the past. She also mentioned that she wanted to learn to read. I asked if she wanted me to teach her or if she wanted to learn by herself. She wants me to teach her. I guess it is time to do a little research; maybe she will forget. I would be happy if she waited at least another year before she started to read. Oh yeah, she also asked if we would do letters and numbers in the same day and I asked what she wanted and she said no to both in one day and then she wanted to know how long we would do school each day and I told her that 15 minutes seemed like a good amount of time, she agreed. Well she is awake now and hasn't mentioned anything about doing school so we will see how motivated she is still.
I will end the post with a funny conversation I overheard at the park. A girl asked Abby how old she was, and then wanted to know if she was in K or 1st grade. Abby responded that she was homeschooled and so that meant she didn't do school. I think she meant that we don't do grades. Anyways, it made me laugh, especailly seeing the little girl look at her in a very confused way.

1 comment:

Los Pyefeld said...

Eh, just give her some comic books!

I think she might be the type, like my sister, who loved filling out forms, doing workbooks, etc. Have you ever gotten any of those workbooks they sell at Peapods or B & N? We had mazes and cutting and stuff. Now Ezra started one that is about filling in blanks with letters. He usually isn't motivated past a page or two, because really, they are so boring. But he's not a workbooky kind of guy - if she is, she might love doing all these on her own! OTOH she might just love the idea of you pretending to be a classroom teacher. Which makes me laugh!!!!!