Wednesday, November 19, 2008

how to homeschool

So, this is a question that has been coming up more and more often at my house. I tend towards unschooling and my hubby leans toward "school at home." Meaning curriculum. I am not entirely opposed to curriculum if that is something that Abby enjoys. Because I have done a lot of reading about unschooling I do believe in it and I feel like it would be the best approach for Abby. Of course there are days when I wonder if by choosing unschooling I might be failing her in some way like the school system failed me. My hubby definitely thinks we would be failing her by not "challenging" her because he doesn't really believe that kids are motivated to learn on their own. I understand why he doesn't believe this because he is a product of the school system and hasn't done any reading on unschooling. I think this will be a challenge for both of us and I really hope we can find a "way" that works for all of us. We have plenty of time as we both agree that we won't do any type of schooling until she is 6 which is not until next August. Time is on our side.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

we have the same situation here. okay, a bit of a rant, but i get frustrated because matt hasn't read one thing about unschooling!! okay, off to read marriage is ecstasy blog.

Mariah said...

Those dang husbands! How do we get them to read?