Sunday, February 1, 2009

Maple Tree Cottage

So, Abby has been going to Maple Tree Cottage since September. It is an in home waldorf inspired preschool. She has absolutely loved it and always looked forward to going. I think one of the biggest reasons she truely enjoyed it so much was because she went when she was ready. I also enjoyed her going and really valued the two mornings she was there. I think it was really nice for both her and I to have that time to ourselves. As of last week, she is an official Maple Tree Cottage "drop-out." One day at breakfast she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said she no longer wanted to go. It was so sad! Turns out another kid has been mean to her and other kids too and she was fed up. I did lots of questioning with her and offered different options and she was adamant that she no longer wanted to go. Shawn and I both agreed that it was important to listen to her and to honor her needs. It is so nice to be in this place and to know that we don't have to force her to go somewhere she does not want to go. I could tell she was so relieved when we told her she did not have to go anymore. I've had others question me on not making her go and say things such as, "how will she learn to get along with others, this is just teaching her that she can quit whenever she wants" etc. etc.
I have to admit there is a selfish part of me that is bummed that she is no longer going but I could never imagine forcing her to go. I can only hope that what she is learning from this experience is that dad and mom will listen to her and honor her needs.

No comments: