Saturday, March 21, 2009

Patience/Irritation

I am searching for patience. The past few weeks I have realized how impatient/irritated I have become with both of my kids. Because Joe is younger I seem to be able to have more patience for him but unfortunately not for Abby. It seems every little mishap that occurs grates on my nerves lately. We went down to the Minnehaha Falls today and she fell on her scooter. She was really upset because she got her tights dirty. Instead of trying to help her I just said, in a stern voice, "well what do you want to do?" I could have sympathized with her about her tights, or tried to help her wipe them off or offered her to take them off etc. But none of those things went through my head. I was simply irritated with her for falling. I didn't want to listen to her cry or whine. I wanted everything to be fine.
But, of course my kids are gonna get hurt, cry, whine, yell, scream and all of this is okay but I am teaching them that it is not. That they need to get themselves under control otherwise mama isn't gonna be very nice. I have to stop this. I have to let them have their emotions and support them through it. I am honestly not sure how to do this. It seems like it would be simple but it is so hard for me.

No comments: